I wrote the majority of this last summer, when I was at the library for a day with my dad while he was studying for his boards. I came by it again recently and filled in a few missing words. Just to let you know, I didn't start out to write a poem about someone drowning; (how morbid is that?) it just happened. I thought up the first two lines randonly and the rest kind of morphed out of that. It turned out to be about Baptism of Desire. So, anyway, without further ado here it is: a jumble of words with a lame title.
Drowning
Drowning
Falling fast in a delirious mass
Of green and blue twined together
And lying waste on a hazy face
Of sea and sky and wind and water.
Slipping fast under great grey laps
Of surging wave and rising tower
And fighting hard with mounting guard
Of fear and fright and pain and panic.
Thinking fast for ‘tis my last
Of thought and thinking altogether
And clasping tight with the wavering sight
Of man and mind and clock and conscience.
Holding fast to dissolving past
Of wrongs and rights strummed together
And picking clear with an untrained ear
From right from wrong, from saint from Satan.
Figuring fast in this final class
Of world’s dusty, tangled tests
And seeing first the pain and thirst
Of God and Man and Son and Savior.
Praying fast before that last gasp
Of life and chance of changing
And letting free a desperate plea
For light and love and me and mercy.
Sinking fast in a great cold mass
Of steal-grey, grave-site water
And pouring forth a heart felt warmth
Of grief and groan and sigh and sorrow.
Then seeing light so great and bright
Though not seeing with eyes at all
And falling free from sin, in a sea
That was more life than death to me.

Pulcherissimi!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Latin Scholar!
ReplyDeleteBrilliance!!! :)
ReplyDeleteHey, by the way, can have your permission to follow your family blog?? It would be great! =)
ReplyDeleteAlso...ALEXANDRE DUMAS?!?!?!?! =D He's AWESOME! Which of his books have you read yet??
Yeah, of course, go ahead! =)
ReplyDeleteWell... honestly, I haven't read a COMPLETE work of Alexandre Dumas--haven't yet finished the COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO. But from what I've read so far, I've decided he deserves to be ranked among the masters, because, as you said, he's awesome!