Saturday, September 1, 2012

Travelers

Hey, hey, hello!

Well, I'm taking a little breather here now.

Lately, I've actaully been breathing in a lot of sharpie marker. Also, I've been lucky because I've managed to not accidentally pack up my sanity in boxes along with everything else. I'm about to move again to Indian again, and I've been secretly wondering if I've relocated enough times to qualify as a nomad. Seven states, and soon to be ten town, and twelve homes. What do you think; can I get my nomad badge already? Hey, I even have the goatherd to go with it!

But I'm not a nomad. I'm a traveler. What's the difference? I have a set destination.

I was blessed to have this dream about two years ago, which brought me great deal of comfort at the time and has done so recently as well.
-- --
In this dream, I was standing in our kitchen, and my family was seated around the table. My father sat at his spot, his elbows resting on the tabletop as he does in real life, and he told us we had to move again. He put a positive spin on it, saying that we'd be Up North again, closer to family, closer to Wisconsin, or "home" as he calls it since he grew up there. I slipped away up the stairs, climbing into my bunk. I didn't only feel sad about leaving Tennessee, I had this overwhelming feeling that I would never belong anywhere, that I'd forever be a drifter and an outsider.

Then I hear this internal voice, though it wasn't my thoughts. It was strong and gentle that the same time, and it got my attention in a very direct being-taken-by-the-shoulders sort of way. "Heaven is your Home. Your a traveler."
-- --
The dream really put things simply and clearly. And it was so true! Somethings it's quite difficult to see life in such stark terms while caught up in the tediousness of daily living, and in the boundaries of time and place. The dream woke me up, both literally and figuratively.
No matter what happen, no matter where we are, we'll be fine. Because we're all Travelers and we weren't made to be out here on the Road forever. We don't know all the turns we might need to take, or the reasons behind the detours. But that's okay, because God does--He's got the map. We've got Infinite Knowledge working as our Navigator! It couldn't get any better than that, could it? All we have to do listen for and then obey His directions. There'll be temptations, flashy signs along the road that tell you to stop or take a different turn. There'll be distractions, radio blaring, things which make our eyes stray. But He is so good and so patient! If we miss a turn, He will always redirect us as long as we follow Him.

He is THE WAY. Heaven is our Home.

Journey well, friends!

"In my Father's house there are many mansions. If not, I would have told you: because I go to prepare a place for you."-John 14:2 

1 comment:

  1. Love you Nicole! I hope you're all settling in well. Send me your address when you get a chance, and your new phone numbers. You all are in my prayers and thoughts.
    <3 to all!
    Kathleen

    PS. I love this post about being a Traveler here on earth. SO true. :)

    ReplyDelete